There are days when you want to hit your partner over the head so they’ll stop bothering you. If your partner snores, there may be some nights like that as well.
- Combines cooling and comfort
- Supportive for all body types
As much as your partner drives you crazy from time to time, there’s no one else you’d rather share the night with. Even so, it’s tough to find a sleeping position that’s comfortable for both of you for more than a few minutes. Add to that the issue of finding a mattress that suits both your preferences and you’re left with quite a challenge on your hands.
If you’re shopping for a new mattress for yourself and your partner, finding a good mattress for cuddling is a great place to start. After all, sleeping isn’t the only thing you do in bed.
When it comes to finding the best mattress for couples, there are several factors to consider aside from your individual preferences for things like firmness and bounce. We’ll take a closer look at what goes into the best mattress for cuddling as well as some general tips for finding the right mattress. You’ll also see our top picks for the best couples mattress.[alert type=”success” icon-size=”normal”]
What are the Best Mattresses for Cuddling?
- Best Overall: Helix
- Best Budget-Friendly: Nectar
- Best Luxury: PlushBeds Luxury Bliss
- Best Memory Foam: Layla Memory Foam
- Best Latex: Avocado Green
- Best Hybrid: Casper
- Best Flippable: Layla Hybrid
- Best Adjustable: Saatva Solaire
- Best for Sex: Bear Hybrid
- Best for Hot Sleepers: Leesa Hybrid
- Best for Heavy Couples: WinkBed Plus
What is a Good Mattress for Couples?
You know your partner like the back of your hand – perhaps even better than you know yourself. But just because you know them as well as you know yourself doesn’t mean you two are the same.
When it comes to getting a good night’s sleep, it’s all about customization. You have your own particular preference for sleeping position and it influences your choice when it comes to the perfect mattress. Your partner has preferences as well, so it can be challenging to find a mattress that works for the two of you if your preferences don’t happen to line up.
Before getting into the details, let’s review some of the factors that make a good mattress for couples:
- Adequate firmness to support two bodies. Mattress firmness is typically rated on a 1 to 10 scale and medium firmness is generally recommended for back support. Preferences differ, however, and the heavier you and your partner are the firmer your mattress should be.
- Support for both sleepers (including edge support). The last thing you want is to feel like you’re going to roll off the edge of your mattress, but edge support can be a challenge when you’re not the only one in the bed. Support is also important when it comes to proper spine alignment.
- Prevents pressure points from forming. While support is essential, you also need a mattress that relieves pressure – especially if you’re cuddling and one of you is sleeping on your side. Mattresses that absorb motion also tend to perform well in pressure relief.
- Doesn’t trap body heat. All mattresses absorb body heat, but some retain them more than others which can make for a warm night if you and your partner like to cuddle. Innerspring and hybrid mattresses tend to sleep cool while memory foam mattresses sleep a little warmer.
- Minimizes noise and motion transfer. When sleeping with a partner, you want to avoid waking each other up all night with noise or motion each time you change positions. Certain mattress materials like memory foam and latex are designed to absorb and isolate motion, as are thicker mattresses and some hybrid models.
In addition to these factors which impact the mattress’ suitability for cuddling, you may also want to think about its responsiveness for… other activities. A little bit of bounce goes a long way. Just know that you may have to compromise when it comes to responsiveness and motion isolation – mattresses that really deliver on motion isolation tend to be less responsive.[alert type=”info” icon-size=”normal”]Read Also: 11 Best Mattresses for Restless Leg Syndrome in 2022[/alert]
Tips for Choosing the Best Mattress
The best way to choose the best mattress for cuddling is to talk to your partner about your preferences. Have a conversation about what you’re looking for in terms of mattress firmness and the type of material you like. If you’ve never shopped for a mattress before, these may be things you haven’t thought about. In that case, take some time to learn the basics about mattresses before having a chat.
Here are some general things to think about when shopping for a new mattress:
- Thickness – Most mattresses are about 8 to 10 inches thick, though they can range up to 14 or 15 inches in some cases. Thicker mattresses tend to absorb motion better but can be heavier and firmer, depending on the materials.
- Firmness – If you and your partner don’t agree on firmness or you don’t know your preferences, something medium or medium-firm is a good bet. You can also look for a dual-sided mattress that offers a different firmness level on either side simply by flipping it over.
- Materials – Traditional innerspring mattresses are still out there but they are no longer your only option. Explore modern materials like memory foam and latex as well as upgraded innerspring mattresses made with pocketed coils. Check out hybrid mattresses as well!
- Support – Proper support is essential for spine alignment which is your ticket to a good night’s sleep. The mattress should sink a little under your weight but shouldn’t sag. Some mattresses even offer targeted support in the lumbar area and around the edges of the mattress.
- Pressure Relief – Side sleepers should pay particular attention to pressure relief, though it’s really important for all sleepers. Memory foam and latex tend to perform well in this area.
Now that you have a better understanding of what affects your sleep when sharing your bed with a partner – and what factors should influence your mattress choice – you’re ready to shop![alert type=”warning” icon-size=”normal”]Choosing the best mattress for cuddling can be tricky, so it’s important to go into it with some idea what you’re looking for. It also doesn’t hurt to have an idea what’s out there. Read on to see our recommendations for the best couples mattress, particularly for cuddling. [/alert]
The Best Mattresses for Cuddling
You and your partner are two separate individuals and what you have together is completely unique. Even when it seems like you have a match made in heaven, however, maintaining a healthy relationship takes work and it isn’t just a day job. Working together to find a mattress that ensures a good night’s rest for both of you is essential for your individual health as well as the health of your relationship.
We’ve done our best to provide you with a wide range of options for mattresses of different types to help you narrow down your pick. Here are our top choices for the best mattresses for cuddling:
Best Overall: Some couples simply can’t agree on anything, so it can be extra difficult to choose a mattress. When it comes to getting a good night’s sleep, it’s all about customization – finding the solution that is perfectly tailored to your needs. That’s where Helix comes in. Not only do they offer a handy sleep quiz to help you determine your preferences, but they offer a wide range of options for sleepers of all styles.
We recommend the Helix Midnight Luxe mattress for couples because it is durable, comfortable, and supportive without being too firm for most sleepers. This mattress features a hybrid design comprised of an individually wrapped coil base over a layer of DuraDense foam for stability with top layers made from high-grade polyfoam and Memory Plus foam. The Helix Midnight Luxe is upgraded from the original model, though both come with a 100-night sleep trial and a risk-free guarantee. If you’re looking for a firmer or a softer mattress, Helix has those options as well!
- Pros: Luxury hybrid design, medium firmness level, comfort and pressure relief, 100-night sleep trial
- Cons: Fairly expensive compared to some brands, may be too soft for heavy sleepers
Best Budget-Friendly: Buying a new mattress is a significant investment, but it doesn’t have to cost a fortune. If you’re looking for a mattress that delivers the ideal combination of comfort and affordability, try Nectar. The Nectar mattress is affordably priced but made with premium materials to give you the experience of sleeping on a cloud. This mattress utilizes all the latest advancements in mattress and fabric technology including gel memory foam and a Tencel cooling cover.
In addition to its multiple layers of memory foam, the Nectar mattress features a quilted memory foam mattress cover for added comfort and a layer of gel memory foam to help distribute body heat. This mattress utilizes adaptive hi-core memory foam to keep you and your partner from sinking too deeply into the mattress with a base of stabilizing foam for support and optimal spine alignment. Try your Nectar mattress for a full 365 nights and if you and your partner don’t love it, return it risk-free.
- Pros: Long 365-night trial period, multi-layer foam construction, comfort and support
- Cons: May not be firm enough for heavy sleepers, foam may be slow to respond
Best Luxury: When you and your partner want the best of the best, you have to go organic. The PlushBeds Luxury Bliss mattress features a luxurious design combining organic latex with pocketed coils to deliver the best night sleep of your life. This mattress is made with layers of organic cotton, organic natural latex, and supportive fabric-encased coils to keep you and your partner cool and comfortable all night long.
The PlushBeds Luxury Bliss mattress delivers exceptional comfort with a unique combination of motion-isolating coils and organic latex that keep your spine in its natural position, no matter how you sleep. This mattress is wrapped in a stretch organic cotton cover for breathability and built on a strong base of premium crated coils for durability and support. Test the mattress for a full 100 days with no risk and enjoy the protection of a generous 25-year warranty as well.
- Pros: Organic latex and pocketed coils, two firmness levels, strong motion isolation, 25-year warranty
- Cons: More expensive than many options, may be too firm for some sleepers
Best Memory Foam: Many couples enjoy memory foam mattresses because they isolate motion and reduce noise, but they’re great for cuddling as well! Whether you’re the big or little spoon, memory foam contours to your body and relieves pressure from the hips and shoulders. Our top pick for the best memory foam mattress is actually a two-sided mattress: the Layla Memory Foam. Try it for 120 nights and if you and your partner don’t love it, return it risk-free. If you do, there’s a lifetime warranty.
The Layla Memory Foam mattress is built from the inside out with a 4-inch core of support foam, surrounded on either side by layers of Max Airflow support foam and copper gel memory foam. This mattress can be customized according to you and your partner’s cuddling preferences simply by flipping it over. One side is soft (4/10) and the other is firm (7/10). No matter which side you choose, you are sure to enjoy a cool, comfortable night of sleep after cuddling.
- Pros: Flippable two-sided design, copper-infused memory foam for cooling, comfort and support
- Cons: Slow response foam may make it tough to change positions
Best Latex: Memory foam is a great option for couples because it absorbs motion and limits noise. Unfortunately, some people find it not quite responsive enough for active cuddling. Latex is the perfect material in this case because you don’t sacrifice the motion isolation or pressure relief, but you won’t feel as “stuck” in the mattress as some sleepers do with memory foam. Our top pick for the best latex mattress for couples is the Avocado Green mattress made with organic certified latex and organic cotton.
The Avocado Green mattress is Greenguard Gold Certified and made from the finest natural and organic materials. This mattress delivers “affordable organic luxury” in a balanced level of firmness and you have the option of adding a pillow-top. The Avocado Green mattress is gentle but firm at 11 inches thick, designed to deliver comfort and support for sleepers of all styles. The top is needle-tufted by hand for an added degree of luxury and the base is made from an ultra-supportive layer of pocketed coils.
- Pros: Available with optional pillow-top, balanced level of firmness, made with organic materials
- Cons: Could be stronger with motion isolation, may be too firm for petite or side sleepers
Best Hybrid: Sometimes you and your partner simply can’t agree – you both have your own opinions and you stand firm on them. The good news is you don’t have to choose a single material for your mattress. Hybrid mattresses combine two or more materials so you AND your partner can get what you want. Our top pick for the best hybrid mattress for cuddling is the Casper Nova Hybrid, made with multiple layers of premium foam and a pocketed coil base for the ideal combination of comfort, coolness, and support.
The Casper Nova Hybrid is more than just a mattress – it’s a luxurious sleep experience. This hybrid mattress features 7 zones of support for proper spine alignment with two layers of perforated foam for coolness. The mattress is built on a base of pocketed coils for additional lift and airflow, wrapped in a super plush and stretchy top that makes you feel like you’re sinking into a cloud. Try the Casper Nova Hybrid for 100 nights and enjoy free shipping and returns with a 10-year warranty.
- Pros: Luxury hybrid design, optimal combination of softness and support, excellent pressure relief
- Cons: Fairly expensive compared to other models, some may find it a little too thick (12 inches)
Best Flippable: Finding the perfect mattress for you and your partner is great, but what if you could double up on perfection? We’re talking about a flippable, two-sided mattress. The Layla Hybrid mattress is essentially two mattresses for the price of one and we know you’re going to love it.
The Layla Hybrid gives you and your partner the option to flip between Soft (4/10) or Firm (7/10), enjoying the cooling comfort of a luxurious Thermocool fabric cover on either side. This two-sided mattress is constructed with the Infinity Edge individually wrapped coil system at the core, surrounded by layers of Max Airflow support foam and copper-infused foam. The mattress is wrapped up in a super-soft, breathable fabric cover with integrated handles for easy flipping as well.
- Pros: Two-sided design with dual firmness levels, pocket coil supportive core, cooling and pressure relief
- Cons: Somewhat more expensive than the foam model, may be too soft for stomach sleepers
Best Adjustable: As much as you and your partner care about each other, there are going to be some things you simply don’t agree on. If your sleeping preferences are one of those things, you need an adjustable bed so you can each customize your side to your preferences. When you’re done cuddling for the night and ready to sleep, the Saatva Solaire enables you to adjust your individual side how you like it. This mattress gives a new definition to the term “air mattress” and it’s not what you’d expect.
The Saatva Solaire is marketed as “the most precise bed ever made.” This bed offers 6 luxurious layers of comfort with over 50 different firmness options, all at the touch of a button. The Saatva Solaire is built inside the Power Edge Enclosure which offers reinforced support around the perimeter with an in-rail air inflator. Numerous vulcanized air chambers allow you to customize the mattress in different areas while a layer of gel-infused memory foam contours to your body for spinal support and cooling comfort. This mattress may cost a little more, but it’s worth every penny – and you get free setup!
- Pros: Adjustable to 50 firmness levels, free white glove delivery, incorporates gel foam and latex
- Cons: Significantly more expensive than many models, may lose some air overnight
Best for Sex: If your nights of cuddling tend to lead to more, you may be looking for a mattress that offers a certain combination of responsiveness and cooling comfort. The Bear Hybrid mattress is the perfect pick and surprisingly affordable. Plus, you’ll get to test it for 100 nights risk-free and enjoy a 20-year warranty. When things heat up in the bedroom, you also want to know your mattress will keep you cool that this mattress really delivers.
The Bear Hybrid mattress features advanced technology including the Quantum Edge Coil System and Hypersoft Cooling gel-foam. This mattress is made with a multi-layer foam design starting with a layer of high-density support foam for durability followed by a pocketed coil system for superior support and airflow. Next comes a responsive layer of transition foam that adapts to your sleeping position (and motion), topped with layers of premium comfort foam and cooling gel-foam. It’s all wrapped up in a hand-quilted Celliant cover for an added boost of breathability.
- Pros: Combines cooling and comfort, supportive for all body types, relieves sore muscles
- Cons: May not be firm enough for heavy sleepers or stomach sleepers
Best for Hot Sleepers: Some people simply sleep hotter than others. When you’re cuddling with your partner, the last thing you want is for your mattress to trap all that body heat and keep it where you don’t want it. If you’re looking for a cooling mattress, we recommend the Leesa Hybrid. Hybrid mattresses tend to offer better airflow than memory foam, but the Leesa Hybrid offers the comfort of foam with the breathability of springs in an award-winning design backed by a 10-year warranty.
The Leesa Hybrid mattress is constructed on a base of more than 1,000 active-response pocket springs which deliver the perfect combination of durability and stability for all sleeping styles. A top layer of hole-punched foam ensures breathability as well as hug and bounce for pressure relief. You and your partner can test the mattress for 100 nights risk-free and return it if you’re not completely satisfied.
- Pros: Designed for comfort and support, luxury hybrid design, stabilizing pocket coil base
- Cons: More expensive than all-foam mattresses
Best for Heavy Couples: Most mattresses are designed for the “average” sleeper. If you and your partner are anything but average, you may be looking for a mattress designed uniquely for your needs. WinkBed offers several different models including one customized specifically for heavy sleepers. The WinkBed Plus is engineered for sleep and offers exceptional beneifts like decompression support for your spine, optimal sleep temperature, and advanced pressure point relief.
The WinkBed Plus mattress features multiple support zones over an individually wrapped coil base, topped with a gel-infused Euro-pillow top. This sturdy mattress also utilizes the Extra-Edge Support System to prevent sagging with the added benefit of a Tencel fabric cover to wick away body heat. The WinkBed Plus also offers 3-step relief for muscle tension and spine alignment with a layer of stabilizing gel foam for motion isolation. Test it for 120 nights just to make sure you and your partner love it.
- Pros: Uniquely designed for individuals over 300 pounds, 7-zone support layer, maximum heat transfer
- Cons: May not sink as much as traditional foam mattresses, some find it too firm
Everyone has their own preferences when it comes to mattresses, but things get challenging when there are two people in the picture. Finding the right mattress for yourself is tough, so it’s twice as difficult when you’re choosing for yourself and a partner.
We’ve done our best to provide a wide variety of options in mattress types so you and your partner can find something you both like. Try one of our suggestions and let us know what you think!
Frequently Asked Questions
- How should a couple choose a mattress? – When choosing a mattress as a couple, there are several factors to consider. First, start with the proper size you will both find comfortable – we recommend at least a full mattress, ideally larger. Next, consider what type of mattress material you like. Memory foam and latex work well for couples concerned about motion transfer while innerspring or hybrid might be better for hot sleepers. Consider the firmness level depending your preferences and body weight, then narrow down your options.
- How thick should a mattress for couples be? – Mattress thickness ranges from 8 to 14 inches, sometimes more. Generally speaking, the thicker the mattress the more supportive it will be. When you sleep with a partner, you want to make sure your mattress can support both of you – especially if you’re going to concentrate both your body weight in a specific area while cuddling. We recommend a minimum of 10 inches but a 12-inch mattress may be a better option, especially if you and your partner are on the heavy side.
- What size bed is best for couples? – Even if you’re looking for a good mattress for cuddling, you want to make sure you and your partner have enough space to sleep on your own as well. We recommend at least a full size bed, but a queen is better. A queen bed measures about 5 inches longer and 7 inches wider than a full (54×75 inches), so you each will have about 30 inches of space to yourselves when you’re not cuddling.
- What is the best mattress for motion transfer? – Motion transfer refers to how much your partner will feel your motion on their side of the bed. In other words, the degree to which the mattress absorbs or isolates motion. Memory foam is usually the best for motion isolation because it conforms to the shape of your body and responds slowly to movement. Latex is great as well, though it is a little more responsive which some couples like. If you prefer the feel of an innerspring mattress, go with pocketed coils rather than a continuous coil design because these will isolate motion better, though not completely.
- How can you make your mattress last longer? – When sharing your mattress with a partner, you may want to think about how to maximize its longevity. After all, it’s getting twice the use it would if you slept on it alone. What you need to keep in mind, however, is that mattress wear and tear tends to come more from sleeping in the same part of the mattress and in the same position than simply from the number of people sleeping in it. The best way to make your mattress last is to rotate it once a month, at least every three months. If you really want to go crazy with it, switch sides with your partner every couple days and make an effort to sleep in different parts of the mattress so it doesn’t all wear in the same areas.