Hello. Full disclosure: I am presently writing this from the floor of my living room. After a minor mishap during a decompression massage, my back is currently out of whack. So now, sitting at a desk, lounging on the couch, or even climbing into bed is very uncomfortable. The only spot that does not hurt my back is down here on the floor and technically, I’m not even on the floor! I’m resting comfortably upon a brand new air mattress! Air mattresses have changed and are no longer just uncomfortable flimsy camping accessories, they’re a great household item. If you’re wondering how luxurious an air mattress can be or how much weight can an air mattress hold, I have answers.
As I write from this low-to-the-ground, cushy utopia, prepare to be informed of the wonders an air mattress provides beyond being a safe, relaxed space for an injured blog writer to do his job.
Why Do I Need an Air Mattress for My Home?
Until recently, I never thought of an air mattress as being a necessary addition to my home. Perhaps, because the word “Air” is in the name, I always believed they didn’t offer any substantial support? Well, considering my current state, that silly notion can now be put to bed. Plus, they fold up so neatly when not in use for the easiest storage.
There are a number of fantastic uses for an air mattress around the home. Just take a look:
- Guests – If you are ever having company over, but don’t have enough spare bedrooms to go around, break out the air mattress.
- Safety – If you have young children who enjoy running around during playtime like packs of crazy monkeys, situating an air mattress or two on the floor lessens the chances of any bumps or bruises.
- Camping – Whether it’s in the woods or in your backyard, you’re going to need something soft and reliable to rest on. This is where the portability of an air mattress really shines.
- Pool – Yes, an air mattress makes for a fine, floating vessel for relaxing in the water on a summer day.
- Picnic – For a little extra comfort whilst dining on a grassy hill, ditch the blanket and upgrade to a cozy air mattress. It also provides a little extra space away from the bugs on the ground.
What Are the Benefits of an Air Mattress?
Beyond the accommodating factors an air mattress provides, there are also a number of practical benefits you will find upon its air-filled softness.
- Customized firmness – You can easily customize how firm your air mattress is by adjusting how much air you pump inside it. Too soft? Simply add more air. Too hard? Let some air out. Just make sure you’re not sinking in the middle of it, which is not healthy for your spine.
- Portability – As you may have already figured out, and I can’t state this enough, air mattresses are very easy to move around. They are made of lightweight materials that can be quickly deflated, rolled up, and placed in a bag.
- Durability – Air mattresses are usually constructed of strong plastic, rubber, or nylon materials that are very durable and easy to clean.
- Affordability – Most air mattresses are generally affordable, costing as little as 80% less than the price of a regular memory foam mattress. Also, you can easily find a quality air mattress at most retail and online establishments.
Now, About that Air Mattress Weight Capacity?
If you are thinking about purchasing an air mattress, don’t feel like you have to go on a crash diet. Many mattresses are equipped to hold a substantial amount of weight. It all depends on the type of air mattress you’re looking for (twin, queen, or king). Here are some tips to be aware of:
- The weight limit of an air mattress does not depend on its height. Rather, it has to do with how the mattress is put together — as well as the material like vinyl and PVC which have strong, heavy duty properties that can withstand a great deal of weight.
- A single air mattress is normally made to only support one person (hence the name). With a thickness somewhere between 4 and 11 inches, this type of mattress is best for people who don’t want to spend too much money and will only use it for a couple of times a year. The weight limit is usually up at around 300 lbs.
- A double air mattress usually features two or more chambers allowing you to change its firmness however you like. With a thickness between 18 and 25 inches, they have more of a real-bed feel that can support more than one person. The weight limit can go as high as 800 lbs.
What Air Mattress Brands Are the Best?
I have taken the liberty of listing some of the best possible air mattress choices for every “level” of comfort.
Active Era Luxury Camping Air Mattress
This low-to-the-ground mattress features a soft-touch, waterproof surface above a unique wave beam technology cushioning system that provides stable, whole body support. It inflates super fast with either a USB rechargeable pump or a handy foot pump that is built right into the mattress! Holds up to 330 lbs.
[maxbutton id=”1″ url=”https://www.amazon.com/Active-Era-Luxury-Camping-Rechargeable/dp/B088NRZCPX?&linkCode=ll1&tag=pillowinsider01-20&linkId=876e0be2255141c764018684c242ec64&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl” text=”Buy on Amazon” window=”new” nofollow=”true” ]
EZ INFLATE Queen Air Mattress
This mid-sized mattress is made of extra soft, triple-layered PVC that is also puncture-resistant and waterproof! Coil beam technology on the inside creates real mattress comfort and support. It also features a built-in electric pump that fully inflates in two minutes. Holds up to 600 lbs.
[maxbutton id=”1″ url=”https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MJJPVTP?&linkCode=ll1&tag=pillowinsider01-20&linkId=47adf013ea875577c8e6319938660fb0&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl” text=”Buy on Amazon” window=”new” nofollow=”true” ]
EnerPlex Queen Air Mattress
This air mattress is another mid-sized model that includes puncture-resistant, triple-layered PVC with a plush, premium quilted top. With cushioned coil beams that support like a traditional mattress as well as an anti-slip bottom that keeps the mattress in place. It also features a built-in electric pump for fast inflation. Holds up to 600 lbs.
[maxbutton id=”1″ url=”https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S4817B7?spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExNVlWQ1RMWTU5VDdRJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDc2MzQyWTZBS0pZUEpRSlJPJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA1NTQ2NzIxM05JRTJQWTBHSjFaJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfZGV0YWlsMiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1&linkCode=ll1&tag=pillowinsider01-20&linkId=2536ea52e3c98abe18493f4ff5069fdc&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl” text=”Buy on Amazon” window=”new” nofollow=”true”]
King Coil Queen Air Mattress
This extra high mattress features enhanced coil technology with air-filled coils and an extraordinary internal layering that naturally supports your body, keeping your spine aligned as you sleep. With a waterproof, quilted top and built-in electric pump for instant inflation. King Coil is actually endorsed by the International Chiropractors Association to help promote proper spine alignment and a healthier night’s sleep. Holds up to 600 lbs.
[maxbutton id=”1″ url=”https://www.amazon.com/King-Koil-Luxury-Raised-Mattress/dp/B06XWG7H3S?crid=M74CABSM2DE4&keywords=king%2Bkoil%2Bqueen%2Bair%2Bmattress&qid=1637257275&qsid=140-2175584-8575825&sprefix=king%2Bkoil%2Bquee%2Caps%2C154&sr=8-3&sres=B06XWG7H3S%2CB07NBR9TMX%2CB07MBG81Y4%2CB00FAW4O0A%2CB0869HGSVL%2CB07WWZBGFV%2CB07S4817B7%2CB088BKS2G7%2CB00ISKDRBS%2CB07MJJPVTP%2CB07D3Z5CB4%2CB006OU4IQC%2CB08R8VJJ5K%2CB07GX3F7F1%2CB006JH1HDW%2CB07F3DSNCB&srpt=AIR_MATTRESS&th=1&linkCode=ll1&tag=pillowinsider01-20&linkId=a5663e24f17609ddf6f96803bb4f7c17&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl” text=”Buy on Amazon” window=”new” nofollow=”true” ]
So, here endeth the lesson on air mattresses and weight capacities. I hope you are now able to find one as comfortable and accommodating as the one I’m still lying on. Before I close this out and take a nap, here are some quick pointers to keep in mind during your air mattress search:
- An air mattress can be used for a number of different instances in your home from extra guest bedding to picnics to outdoor loungers and more.
- Air mattresses provide some wonderful benefits like customizable firmness, portability, and durable construction all at an affordable price.
- The weight capacity for an air mattress ranges from 300 to 800 lbs. depending on its construction and material.