Shopping for a new mattress can be a time-consuming process but if you want to get the best price, you shouldn’t rush it. Take the time to do your research to determine what type of mattress you want and in what size so you can start comparing prices and looking for a great deal.
When it comes to getting the best deal on a mattress, your strategy may vary depending whether you’re shopping online or in-store. Below you’ll find tips for both options.
Negotiation Tips for In-Store Shopping
If you’re shopping at a brick-and-mortar mattress dealer, you should always assume the price on the tag is merely a suggestion. Most stores are willing to negotiate, even if it’s only to throw in a few extras with the purchase. Even if you’re not particularly comfortable haggling, there are a few simple tricks you can employ to make sure you get the very best price.
Here are some tips for in-store mattress shopping:
- Do your research. Before you walk into the store, you should have some idea what you’re looking for and an idea on how much you’re willing to spend on it.
- Test out different options. Don’t rush the decision-making process – take the time to test different models and ask questions to make sure you’re picking the perfect mattress.
- Don’t bite on the first offer. When a salesman sees you showing interest in a mattress, he’s almost certainly going to try to close the sale. Don’t take the first offer – tell the salesman you’re just shopping for the best price and see how he reacts.
- Consider the second offer. A salesman may react one of two ways to you saying you’re just shopping around – he’ll either let you leave or drop the price. If it’s a significant discount that puts the mattress in your price range, feel free to consider it.
- Do some comparison shopping. If you don’t get the deal you want the first time you visit the store, don’t worry – go home and do some comparison shopping. Now that you’ve tested a few mattresses and have a better idea what you’re looking for, you can shop smarter.
- Take a second run at the salesman. Once you’ve done your comparison shopping, take your research back to the mattress store and see if the salesman will match a competitor’s price or even beat it. If the salesman won’t budge, you can try asking to speak to the manager.
Don’t feel pressured to make a purchase the first or even second time to set foot in a mattress dealer. You might even go through these steps if you’re planning to buy online anyway, just to see if you can get a better deal on a similar product.
How to Shop for a Mattress Online
Modern mattress companies do the majority of their business online. In fact, some of them cut out the middleman completely by selling directly to the customer instead of to mattress dealers. This gives you, the consumer, a great deal of power in terms of choosing the exact product you want and getting it at a price you’re happy with. You may even get bonuses like free shipping and mattress removal.
Here are some tips for shopping online for a mattress:
- Decide what type of mattress you want. With so many options to choose from, you may need to start with some general research about different types of mattresses to decide which one sounds like the right choice. From there, you can dive deeper into different brands.
- Compare prices with different brands. If you don’t have your heart set on a specific mattress, you can shop around with different brands to find the best price.
- Try a model-specific search. If you do know exactly which mattress you want, you can try a Google search using the mattress model name or number plus keywords like “discount” or “coupon.” You may even come across websites that collect coupon codes.
- Check for promotions with the retailer. Most online mattress companies offer running promotions for things like free shipping, free mattress removal, or a discount on their products. These promotions may change from time to time.
- Sign up for the company’s newsletter. If you know what mattress you want but you’re not in a hurry to buy it, sign up for the company newsletter to stay on top of deals and discounts. You might get a percentage off by providing your email address or you’ll get access to future deals.
- Add it to your cart but don’t buy. Another tactic to get a little extra savings is to add the product you want to your shopping cart then close the tab and go about your day. If you’ve provided your email address you may get a “Did you forget something?” email reminding you about the product, often with an offer for some kind of savings.
- Talk to a customer service rep. Even if you’re shopping online, you may be able to haggle a little bit. Try the company’s live chat to see if you can’t snag an extra discount.
Buying a new mattress is a significant investment, so it’s worth putting in the time and effort to get the best deal you can. Even if you only end up saving a couple hundred dollars, it could be significant in the big picture.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you negotiate price on a new mattress?
Yes, in some ways. If you’re shopping at a brick-and-mortar mattress store, you should be able to haggle on price. If you’re shopping online, you can find promo codes, or you may be able to talk to customer service to get a discount.
When do mattresses go on sale?
You can expect mattress companies to offer sales and promotions around any major holiday throughout the year. You may also find great promotions during the month of May because many retailers roll out new products in June, so they want to clear inventory to make room.
How much should I spend on a mattress?
Mattress pricing varies according to materials and quality, so it really depends what kind of mattress you want. Generally speaking, you should plan to spend at least $500 on a decent quality queen-size mattress, though high-end mattresses can go for upwards of $2,000, depending on type.