Why does it matter how to keep mattress topper from sliding off a bed? The average person spends about one-third of their life in bed, so it’s well worth making that time comfortable. A high-quality and supportive mattress is the key to a good night’s sleep, but there are plenty of simple ways you can customize your sleep experience and optimize your comfort.
A mattress topper is an accessory you can add to the top of your mattress to improve your comfort. If your mattress is a little too firm, a mattress topper can provide a little added cushion. The opposite can be true as well. But if your mattress topper keeps sliding off the bed, it doesn’t do you any good at all.
Many people struggle to keep their mattress toppers in place. So, if you your mattress topper slides around, you’re not alone. Here’s what you need to know about why your mattress topper tends to slide off the top of your bed. We’ll also provide some simple solutions to help you prevent it.
Why Do Mattress Toppers Slide?
No mattress is perfect, and neither is any mattress topper. In the same way the function of a mattress can be compromised when it develops indentations, you won’t get the maximum benefit out of a mattress topper if it doesn’t stay in place. If you’re wondering how to stop a mattress topper from sliding, it helps to understand why it happens in the first place.
There are a number of factors that can contribute to a mattress topper sliding around. First and foremost, it’s important to have a stable and supportive base. You also need friction to keep the topper from moving. If your mattress cover is too smooth, it might not be able to grip the top of the mattress properly. You could also have issues if you purchase a mattress topper that is inappropriately sized for the mattress – either too big or too small.
Mattress toppers can slide in any direction, but if you don’t have a headboard and footboard on your bed, it’s more likely to slide up and down. An unstable base can contribute to problems as well. If your bed frame is too lightweight, it might move around on the floor and cause the topper to move as well.
Now that you have a better idea what the problem is, you’re ready to find a solution. Keep reading to learn how to stop a mattress topper from sliding.
Ways to Keep a Mattress Topper from Sliding
The best way to keep a mattress topper from sliding is to purchase the right one in the first place. Double-check the size of your mattress and take note of the texture of the mattress’ surface. If it’s very smooth, that knowledge might influence the type of mattress topper you choose.
Here are three simple tips for shopping for a mattress topper:
- Look for a mattress topper that has a feature to help keep it in place – some come with stretchable bands that tuck underneath the mattress or wrap around it to prevent sliding.
- Check the bottom of the mattress topper to see if it is textured or has a non-slip bottom to help increase friction between the topper and the mattress.
- Think about the materials from which the topper is made. Lightweight down toppers may be more likely to slide than a solid memory foam or latex topper.
In addition to shopping smart for a mattress topper, there are a few things you can do to keep it from sliding. Try these tips:
- Purchase an extra fitted sheet deep enough to cover the mattress and the topper. If you can’t find one deep enough, wrap the topper itself in a fitted sheet and tuck the extra underneath.
- Buy bed sheet holders or sheet straps. If the topper doesn’t come with stretchable bands, you may be able to purchase them separately to hold the topper in place.
- Stitch strips of Velcro into the mattress and the topper. If you’re crafty, you could try stitching strips of Velcro into the bottom of the mattress topper and the top of the mattress.
- Try using duct tape or dual-sided carpet tape to stick the mattress topper and the mattress together. You’ll have the best results if you use the tape around the outside edges.
- Use safety pins if you’re looking for a solution that is less likely to cause damage to the mattress. Make sure to use at least five large safety pins on each side of the mattress.
Even if you’re not a particularly active sleeper, it can be a challenge to keep your bed looking neat and tidy. If you find your mattress topper tends to shift during the night, it could compromise your comfort and be a hassle for you come morning. Fortunately, we’ve provided several ways to keep a mattress topper from sliding above – give one of these tips a try!
How to Keep Mattress Topper from Sliding FAQs
How to hold a mattress topper in place?
The best thing you can do is choose a mattress topper that is resistant to sliding in the first place. Look for a model with stretchable bands that help keep it in place. You can also purchase separate sheet straps or place a tight fitted sheet over the topper to help keep it from sliding.
What kind of mattress topper slides the least?
Any mattress topper can slide around if there isn’t enough friction between the bottom of the topper and the top of your mattress. The best mattress toppers to prevent slipping come with stretchable bands to hold them in place or a nonslip bottom.
How thick should a mattress topper be?
It largely depends on what you find comfortable, but you should also take the state of your mattress into account. If your mattress is still in decent shape but you want a little more cushioning, try something between 2 and 3 inches. For mattresses that are a little older or have less padding on top, something 3 to 4 inches thick might work better.