Boppy pillows are immensely useful for new moms and will provide your newborn with the support necessary for early development.
Being a new mum is never easy. Sleepless nights, loud cries in the middle of the night, an endless shift of diaper changing duties, etc., are only a few of the tough challenges that come with a new-born. However, the hardest part of the job is breastfeeding, healthy playtime with your child and ensuring that they get all the nutrients they need for a healthy start.
All this can take a toll on both you and the baby. Using the widely acclaimed, award winning Boppy pillow can ease that burden off your shoulders and assist in daily baby tasks that are otherwise too taxing on you and your child. Whether it is time for nursing, teaching your child how to sit or making tummy time comfortable, your handy Boppy pillow can help make these tasks easy.
How to Use a Boppy Pillow for Nursing
Nursing can be challenging and uncomfortable for most young mommies. For this reason, the Boppy infant support and breastfeeding pillows are a terrific investment. These special pillows will help you bond with your infant and regulate mealtime according to your comfort and schedule.
Here’s how you can properly use the Boppy pillow for nursing:
- Find a comfortable spot that provides adequate support for your back and legs. Make sure you feel at ease and your back is not under any strain.
- Place the nursing pillow on your lap or around your waist. You can arrange its position to your comfort level.
- Gently position your baby on the Boppy pillow as their body rests on the side, face yours.
- Ensure that your baby’s mouth is at the same level as the breast you plan to use for nursing. In case the head is imbalanced, you can cradle it and the baby’s torso in your arm to bring them closer to your breast. This way you can gently rest your arm on the Boppy and regardless of the time it takes to breastfeed, your arm will not strain.
- You can now easily breastfeed your baby.
- You do not have to bend, hunch, or lower your torso or breast down to your baby. If the baby is not at the same height as your breasts, simply put another pillow or cushion below the boppy. Alternatively, you can gently lift the baby with your arms.
- If you find yourself still hunching to reach the baby’s mouth, you can use your handy Boppy pillow while keeping the football hold. In this breastfeeding position, the baby is held delicately alongside of your body with their feet pointing toward your back)
How to Use a Boppy Pillow for Bottle Feeding
If you prefer bottle feeding your infant instead, you will be relieved to know that the process is identical to using a Boppy pillow for breastfeeding. However, please bear in mind that you should never use the Boppy pillow as a support to prop the baby bottle for the baby to feed themselves. This may cause choking, so it is recommended to follow this guide instead.
- Find a comfortable spot that offers ample back and leg support. Ensure that you are comfortable and that your back is not strained in any way.
- Arrange the Boppy nursing pillow in your lap or place it around your waist. Feel free to secure it in a position that is comfortable for you.
- Position your baby gently over the Boppy pillow as they rest on their back, facing toward you.
- Gently cradle your infant’s head and upper torso on your arm. Your arm should rest on the Boppy pillow without any strain or pressure.
- With your free hand, hold the bottle over the baby’s mouth and begin feeding.
How to Use a Boppy Pillow for Tummy Time
New-born babies lack sufficient strength to lift their heads and enjoy a fun tummy time. Your Boppy pillow positioner can solve this problem for you. Instead of propping your baby on a cushion with no side support or holding them in your arms constantly, you can prop them up on your Boppy nursing pillow and let them enjoy seeing the world from a new angle. This exercise is fun and extremely helpful in strengthening your baby’s back and neck muscles.
- Place a soft baby blanket on the floor.
- Set the Boppy pillow on the blanket.
- Gently place your infant inside the plush curve of the pillow where it makes a ‘C’ shape. Make sure that your baby’s arms and shoulders are propped on top of the pillow to allow them movement.
- Arrange toys in front of the pillow to keep your baby’s attention or sit in front as you talk and play with them.
- Let your little one play and explore the world until they show signs of tiredness and fatigue. You will be able to tell when your baby is unable to keep their head up and begins to cry or fuss. This may occur anywhere between five to twenty minutes of tummy time, depending on your child’s age, weight and strength.
- Always supervise your little one during tummy time! If their arms or shoulder slide off the pillow, reposition them to keep them safe.
How to Use a Boppy Pillow for Sitting
New-born babies are curious about the world and everything they see around them, but because they lack the core strength to sit on their own, they will be on their backs all day. Your Boppy nursing pillow is an excellent baby gear to help your child view the world from a new perspective and provide them with safe support for sitting. Even if they are old enough to sit on their own, the Boppy pillow will prevent them from falling over if they trip or feel tired.
- Place your Boppy pillow on the floor. You should never place it on a couch, chair, table, or surfaces that are elevated.
- Place your baby carefully in a sitting position in the center of the pillow curve that makes the ‘C’ shape. The baby’s back should be supported by the curve of the pillow with their legs resting towards the opening of the pillow.
- Pull the ends of the pillow together slightly to make a more circular, cushioned shape. This will keep your baby cradled and supported from both sides, providing sitting support.
- As your baby grows and develops muscle strength and confidence, you may slightly push apart the sides of the pillow, so their movement is not restricted.
- Needless to say, you must always supervise your baby when using a Boppy pillow for sitting. In case the baby falls or slides over, reposition them securely.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long do you use a Boppy pillow?
You can use your Boppy pillow for up to nine months. You can begin using it from day one of your child’s birth for nursing. This will enable you and your baby to become used to it. You can begin using it for nursing purposes immediately and by the third month, the Boppy nursing pillow can be used for propping your child up. By six months, you can use the Boppy pillow for a fun and relaxing tummy time for your baby and by nine months, it can be used to teach your child how to sit properly.
Can you prop a newborn on a Boppy pillow?
You should never prop a newborn baby on a Boppy pillow. Newborns do not have the strength or the skill to support their heads or backs and by propping them in uncomfortable positions, you may risk permanent muscle or bone damage to your child.
You should also never place your newborn face down on a Boppy pillow as this may result in positional asphyxia. Be careful not to risk placing your newborn curled in the center of the pillow area or propped at an improper height as this might block the baby’s airway. Please ensure that you are not using a Boppy pillow inside a crib, bassinet, playpen, or on top of a bed with the baby alone.
You should also be careful not to leave your newborn on the boppy if you are close to falling asleep or busy elsewhere. Supervision at all times is crucial. The recommended uses for the Boppy pillow are nursing by breastfeeding or bottle-feeding, propping up, tummy time and sitting.
How many Boppy pillows do I need?
A single Boppy pillow can help you with most tasks when it comes to caring for your baby, but in some cases, you might want to invest in another one. For example, if you need to wash your Boppy as a result of stains or spills, you can use the other one while the dirty Boppy dries.
If you feel strain and tension in your neck or shoulders as you nurse your baby on top of a boppy pillow, you can purchase another one and rest it around your neck as you rock your child gently. This will soothe any aching muscles or built-up tension in your shoulders by craning your neck toward the baby.
If you have twins or triplets, it is better to purchase more Boppy nursing pillows as you may need to use all of them at the same time if your babies have a similar feeding or tummy time routine.
Do you really need a Boppy pillow?
Boppy pillows are very useful for new mothers. They provide support for the baby and the mother and lessen strain while constantly nursing or propping your child up when they begin activity. In fact, you can even use them to rest your neck and shoulders while lying down to soothe any growing aches from craning your neck in uncomfortable positions.
They help prop your baby up as they learn to sit, balance their bodies, and enjoy exploration through tummy time.