Your handy Boppy pillow goes through a lot and may end up with baby spit, leaked breast milk, vomit, urine and poop, and all other kinds of spills over the span of its use. If you have got another little one on the way, you need your boppy pillow to last at least a few years and so proper washing and drying is absolutely crucial to keep your boppy pillow clean and in good shape.
How to Wash Your Boppy Pillow
Your Boppy pillow comes in contact with your baby while they play, learn to sit, enjoy quality tummy time and feed. While you use your Boppy nursing pillow, there are going to be all kinds of spills and stains soaked within it which may leave unwanted odors, making it unsanitary for you and especially for your baby. Proper cleaning and drying techniques are essential to maintain the longevity and the quality of your Boppy pillow.
Here is a step by step guide to clean and wash your Boppy pillow:
- Remove any protective covers, cases, or slipovers from your Boppy pillow. Read any care labels provided with the cover for special instructions before you put it in the washer.
- Set your washing machine to a delicate cycle setting and add a sprinkling of mild detergent that is suitable for your infant’s gentle skin. Detergents that can be used with infants’ garments can also be used for this. If needed, only add non-chlorine bleach.
- After your Boppy cover has been washed, you can throw in your pillow in the washing machine. We recommend using a front load washing machine due to its gentle spin without the agitator.
- Set the temperature to 30°C or 85°F and run the cycle in a gentle setting. Wash your pillow for fifteen to twenty minutes. You can also hand wash your Boppy pillow in warm water and mild detergent. Avoid aggressive rolling, twisting, or smacking when washing your Boppy by hand.
- Once your pillow has been thoroughly washed, drying it through and through is essential to avoid damaging the filling with remaining moisture. You can throw the pillow inside your tumble dry and run it on a delicate setting. Add a tennis ball or two wrapped in a pillowcase to help with the drying process and keeping the Boppy from causing lumps.
Boppy Pillow Care Instructions
Caring for your personal Boppy breastfeeding pillow is the first step towards maintaining its life, quality, and getting the most out of your investment. We recommend always following product care instructions as per the label. While most nursing pillows including Boppy pillows are machine washable and dryable, it is still advised to carefully go over any washing instructions provided.
Your Boppy pillow positioner will get dirty, soaking up all kinds of liquids and impurities with use and may become unsanitary for your baby. For this reason, proper care measures should be taken with use.
When washing your Boppy nursing pillow, use cold water and keep the cycle in a delicate setting. If the spin is too aggressive, you may risk destroying the soft filling that keeps the pillow fluffed and supportive for your baby. Always use an infant-friendly detergent that is less strong and will not harm the baby’s skin.
When drying, always use low heat, gentle setting as excessive heat may crumble the Boppy filling. Remember to never iron or dry clean your Boppy pillow. In case of a quick spill, you can use a clean paper towel or white cloth to spot clean or wipe away any impurities.
Always use a pillow protector with your Boppy pillow to protect against spills, stains, marks, or liquid from seeping inside the pillow itself. Using pillow protectors reduces the need to wash your Boppy, hence increasing its lifespan. When it is time for cleaning, you can simply chuck the Boppy cover in the wash and slip it back on without tossing in the pillow insert.
Always remember to dry your pillow thoroughly after a wash. While Boppy pillows are hypoallergenic, there is no risk of bacteria or allergens growing inside the filling, though excess moisture can cause musty odors and damage to filling. Therefore, you should always dry your Boppy completely. Leave it out in the sun after a spin in the dryer so the air and sunlight can restore its freshness.
In case you notice unwanted odors from your Boppy, whether from your baby’s drool, vomit, curdled milk, leaked poop, and urine, you can leave it out in the sun after a wash. You can also try half a cup of baking soda sprinkled in the washing cycle to neutralize any smells. Additionally, the buildup of musty, mildew scent can be removed by adding one cup of white vinegar to your washing cycle.
You can take preventative measures for your Boppy pillow’s maintenance such as purchasing two different protective covers for your boppy so when one is in the wash, switch to the other. Avoid spills and stains by draping a clean, soft cloth or blanket over your pillow when feeding in case you do not have a protector. Washing an extra blanket is easier than chucking the whole pillow in the wash.
If followed carefully, these preventative methods and care instructions could increase the life and overall quality of your Boppy, regardless of extensive use. It is crucial to follow all instructions provided with labels on your Boppy pillow so you get the most out of your investment.