Are you wondering how down pillow vs memory foam pillows compare? What are the advantages and disadvantages of these pillow types and which one is better for you?
In this handy guide, we’ll compare these two popular bedding items by giving you all the pros and cons so you can choose the one that will offer you the most comfortable sleep and health benefits.
Down Pillow vs Memory Foam
The right pillow can make a huge difference in the quality of sleep you get and how you feel when you wake up the next morning. Each person is unique and may have a unique preference when it comes to pillow height, softness and support. Choosing a pillow that suits your sleep and texture preference will help you feel a lot more comfortable and can significantly reduce neck pain or shoulder pain.
Down pillows and memory foam pillows are some of the most popular sleep pillows currently sold on the market. These two pillow types are made from very different materials and offer very different sleep benefits.
It’s best to learn more about the main differences between these pillow types so you can find the one that suits your sleeping needs perfectly.
What Is a Memory Foam Pillow?
Memory foam pillows are made mostly from polyurethane but may also consist of other chemicals that offer the foam sheet ore viscosity or a higher density. This material has the unique ability to mold to your natural shape while still offering good support.
When you lie down on a memory foam pillow, the foam will conform to your shape and will return to its original state once pressure is relieved from the pillow.
There are a few different types of memory foam pillows. They are available in different sizes and can be molded into different shapes to accommodate different sleeping positions. The pillows can also vary in density. Pillows with a low density tend to be softer, while those with a higher density are firmer.
Benefits of Memory Foam Pillows
Memory foam pillows are sought after because they offer many health and sleeping benefits. Here is a quick look at the top benefits these pillows might offer.
- These pillows are designed to help you maintain a healthy and natural posture while you sleep.
- They support the neck and head so your spine will create a natural curve that can reduce neck and back pain.
- Typically, these pillows can last anywhere from four to 12 years depending on the pillow design and how well you take care of it.
- The foam materials are very smooth and resistant to forming lumps.
- Back sleeper pillows offer a lot more support to the neck and open the throat. This eases breathing and may reduce snoring.
- Your neck and head will be held in a good neutral position for longer which will keep you feeling nice and comfortable all night.
- Proper sleeping posture enhances blood circulation through your body so all tissues can receive oxygen and nutrients.
Disadvantages of Memory Foam Pillows
Not all people enjoy sleeping on memory foam pillows because they do have some disadvantages. Here are a few cons to keep in mind before buying.
- Memory foam isn’t very breathable and retains heat.
- The pillows can feel heavy compared to other pillow types.
- New pillows can have an unpleasant scent due to VOC (volatile organic compound) emissions.
- The support these pillows offer might be too rigid for certain sleeping positions.
- Cleaning memory foam pillows can be difficult.
What Is a Down Pillow?
The term down refers to feathers from the back, wing and chest of a bird. Down feathers are usually harvested from geese and ducks and are superb bedding materials because they are fluffy, soft, breathable and are able to naturally regulate your body temperature.
Down pillows are usually extremely soft and offer great neck support. This is a popular pillow type because, unlike synthetic stuffing, down doesn’t form clumps that can make your pillow feel lopsided or uncomfortable. These pillows are easy to fluff up and they are perfect for creating a cozy sleep environment.
Benefits of Down Pillows
These pillows are some of the most popular types on the market because they offer many benefits.
- Down pillows are extremely soft and they contour around the shape of your neck and head.
- You can roll around and change your sleep position and still feel comfortable.
- The pillows are breathable enough to prevent sweating.
- If properly cared for, these pillows can last 10 – 15 years.
- You can wash a down pillow at home in a washing machine.
- Down pillows tend to be more affordable compared to memory foam pillows.
- Only natural fibers are used in these pillows which offer environmental benefits.
Disadvantages of Down Pillows
These pillows aren’t for everyone since they have lots of disadvantages, such as:
- The natural feather fibers can contain allergens, especially for those who are allergic to waterfowl.
- Medium to high density down pillows can contain harder feathers that can be spiky.
- The pillow flattens overnight and neck support is reduced as you sleep.
- Lumpiness can form if pillows are not cared for properly.
- You need to fluff up the pillow after each use.
When considering a down pillow vs memory foam pillow, it’s always best to keep your own health needs and preferred sleeping position in mind. Both of these pillows are superb sleeping solutions, but you will benefit so much more if you choose a pillow that suits your specific sleeping needs.